The family

The family
Handsome, Princess, Man- Child, Endless Pit, Bilbo

Monday, April 18, 2011

The abyss

The kids were actually in bed with lights out at 8:45.  Handsome somehow found his way to our bed, with Bilbo right next to him.  They are both sound asleep. I’m scared to question anything.  This is the way things are supposed to be, right?  I mean, me? In bed by 9:30? No freaking way! YAY!
So as I creep through the darkness trying to contain my excitement and giddy giggles making sure all the doors are locked, the stairway is clear and the bottles are ready for the next morning’s activities, I do everything but run to the bedroom aiming for a nose dive.
But wait.
 I realize that I forgot to write the check for Endless Pit’s lunch money.  I write the check, and then realize I forgot to wash Man Child’s requested workout clothes patiently waiting in the utility room.  Then I realize I forgot to set out Bilbo’s clothes and single diaper for his day at ‘school”.   I then notice the two glasses on the counter that were supposed to go in the dishwasher before I ran it. I quickly soap, rinse and dry knowing those same two glasses will be used all too soon.
“Crap. The milk is sour.”
“Ugh! The cereal is gone?!”
The refrigerator door is sticky from “someone’s” sandwich after school.
I quietly whisper to myself in exasperation and impatience
“Why is an empty strawberry jelly jar in the refrigerator…without the lid?”
I grabbed the last paper towel and take care of the sticky tracks on the door, the shelf and the counter; then head to the garage to reload the Bounty, also grabbing the extra toilet paper to restock the half bath (boy’s gold).  The pillows need ‘fluffing” in the living area- knowing full well they will be crushed into the couch again by exactly 7:30 in the morning. The remotes are not in their usual place. One is missing, only to finally find it crammed down in the couch.
It’s 10:30. 
I am ready to lose it. Not in the sense of a generic “wth?”, but more of a “Dammit!!”  I mean, I feel like I just got home from work! I did my motherly duties…fed and held Bilbo. I held the boys and discussed their day.  I caught up with Handsome’s accomplishments of the day… I even cooked!  How did I miss all this? I thought I was headed for a nose dive into a fluffy pillow by 9:30!
“WHERE IN THE HELL HAVE MY PRODUCTIVE 3 HOURS GONE?!! “
“bing”
The computer is on and calling my name…the flirt.
I left it on while catching up on Facebook.  I answer a few “inboxes”.  I actually “liked” a few things.  I put a few people in their place with direct perspective (some things never change). I celebrated girlfriends’ and their kids’ accomplishments.  Then the mother load…
I FORGOT TO BLOG. (gasp)
Okay, real quick (honestly, this is my Shangri- la).  Tonight it seems to come so easy, probably because my mind is racing- inspired by the slight idea of a good night’s sleep, sort of…right?
11:15…aaaaaand post.
(And the rewarding, repetitive abyss of non- productive productivity continues)
Goodnight !
(pause)
“Crap… Come on Bandit, outside.”
(Kicking his empty water bowl across the kitchen floor)

1 comment:

  1. I think were all living the same life....! Glad you're back- missed you!

    ReplyDelete