The family

The family
Handsome, Princess, Man- Child, Endless Pit, Bilbo

Sunday, April 17, 2011

our gift of showers and sunshine

Happy Birthday to You, Happy Birthday to You, Happy Birthday dear Sweet Girl…..Happy Birthday to You!
My sister and I are very close and just as she has always allowed me to borrow her favorite outfits and favorite jewelry and Love’s Baby Soft; in essence, she has allowed me to borrow her daughter all these years- and I love her just as my own. 
Fifteen years ago, I remember a poochy- lipped baby entering this world, and I was never the same. This was the first time I witnessed a complete birth in all its glory.  This was the first time I had that first glimpse of unconditional love.  I will never forget that look she gave me when I first held her.  A look that clearly told me
“Hello.  I’m new to this world.  I don’t quite understand how it works yet, but I will and I intend to approach it the best way I can...
…and “Ewin”, I promise I will keep you at ease while I am a part of it.”
We have the kind of relationship that doesn’t require high maintenance.  It just takes a smile, or a tone, or a look. Sometimes a pat on the knee or a hug says plenty.  Over the phone, I know the quiver in her voice when there is uncertainty.  If I actually get to spend a little time with her, I understand the way her sweet eyes droop when she is concerned more than a 15 year- old should be. She knows just the right things to say to me when I am feeling unhappy, overwhelmed or self- conscious.  We also can go to the other side of the spectrum when I don’t like the way she is talking to her mother, or if I am seemingly trying too hard to change who I am supposed to be (enter dark blue nail polish and blonde hair- I will never forget that eye roll…EVER). My boys equally love her intellect and perspective on life.  She and man-child enjoy verbal bouts on who is the self- proclaimed “bigger nerd” and Endless Pit can count on her to patiently explain things he does not understand…and he loves her hugs that are consistently strong whether it is a “hello” or “goodbye”.
She inspires, because she is everything I wasn’t at that age.  She is comfortable in her skin, too brilliant for her own good, exceedingly patient when others give judgment, sticks to her guns on any debate and never cowers. Her focus is on how she is going to get through med school, not how she is going to get through the week.    Her mother and I both look at each other then we shrug and laugh because at times, we truly don’t know how to keep her approach on life contained.  Where did this come from?
The sisters are, for lack of a better word, “stumped”.
We can tell by the twinkle in her eyes that she enjoys it when she renders us speechless.  She simply laughs it off without harm or insult.  We enjoy her smile and awe while witnessing the two of us (her mother and her aunt’s overwhelming antics and banter when we are all together).  We also know when to duck and hide when the dark storm cloud approaches, but usually it is a small April shower with a little bit of sunshine and brighter skies afterwards.
She is truly a gift to us, indeed.

No comments:

Post a Comment