The family

The family
Handsome, Princess, Man- Child, Endless Pit, Bilbo

Tuesday, April 19, 2011

bullseye

I love my office.  I love going to work. 
I don’t know if it is because I am still in my honeymoon phase where everything is still new and fresh and I am experiencing what we all affectionately call the “learning curve” of day to day tasks, or if I truly am the luckiest woman in the world enjoying the varied dynamic of the office and personalities that go with it.  The common denominator is humor. The motto is “NO DRAMA”.  It is about what we all can bring to the table as a team
and it works.
One day I walked in from the back parking lot into the kitchen area.  I made my coffee and was heading to turn towards our work area and tackle the day’s new challenge when I stopped dead in my tracks.  Down the long, dark grey , beautifully stained cement -floored hallway was a big, bright hanging of artwork perfectly placed on the wall by the door of the lobby where we greet our candidates for interviews.  This particular stretch of hallway is our zone where we think of opportunities for placement and rehearse our script of what were are concentrating on for the day.  It is a good stretch of walking which takes roughly 25 steps until you reach the lobby door. 
At the end of our "zone" is now a picture of a target, like what you would use to shoot a bow and arrows with.
One brought up a good point that it reminds them of a fun house with the bright spinning wheel at the end of a dark stretch of quiet, making you feel like you are turning as well.  If you saw it you would understand the comparison.  When I first saw it, I was not impressed.  I made a comment of the oddity. My co- workers told me it was a high dollar piece of artwork.  I was quick to think I better get Bilbo started on some tempura paint.
However, as it happens with all works of art; it grows on you to where you understand it and appreciate it’s meaning even more daily.   After over a month of seeing it daily creating some kind of artistic interpretation at least 15 times a day during the “walk of perspective”, it makes me realize there is so much more to it than a simplistic painted target- and I absolutely love it.
I noticed when I am having a great day…the target is a "spot- on" perfect circle with bright colors.  When the day is challenging, I see that the painted circles are rough and somewhat uneven in freestyle strokes.  When the day is a little fogged of optimism, I notice splashes of faded color thrown against the perfect white background.  When I am tired, I see those splashes as a more prominent shade of brown and swear it is coffee.  When I am having a downright, no- holds- barred crappy day, I swear I see splashes of faded red…certain it is a mix of blood, sweat and tears.
So now, every time I walk down the stretch of hallway for my first interview of the day with a colorful candidate, I check myself.  I stare at the artwork and ask myself what I see and that sets the mood for the day.  Here lately, I see a hell of a lot of coffee; but still, I’m always reminded to stay on target, aiming to make it a productive one regardless….
BULLSEYE.

No comments:

Post a Comment