The family

The family
Handsome, Princess, Man- Child, Endless Pit, Bilbo

Thursday, March 10, 2011

Living the Dream

As the family sits and watches American Idol, the question always comes up like clockwork from Endless Pit…
“Who do you think is going to win?”
“Not sure yet.”
“Do you think you could have won American idol if you auditioned…auditioned…auditioned….”
In a dream-like state, I look to my left….
”Yo, Dawg, what up?!” 
“Oh, not much Randy, keepin’ it real, but I ….am…WIPED!  The boys had a pretty busy day and I just didn’t feel it.  It felt like I was on Broadway or at karaoke night just waiting for the moment that would do it for me.  It just wasn’t my night. ”
I look to my right…Jenny from the Block tilts her head to the side. ”Well, I went through that exact same thing Erin, with my twins, you know what I mean?  Be like me.  Just trust your nanny will take care of it, and if all else fails, put on a fabulous glitzy number and ACT THE PART…let the song come through, BUT BE TRUE TO YOU!  She throws Handsome a wink and a ‘high-five’ as he is frozen by shock, awe and drool.
(Blank stare…head to the kitchen)
“Well, hell-OOO  there OK-la-HOM-a!”
“Steven.  Darling.  What are you doing in here- besides looking fabulously adorable?”
“I thought I would help myself to a little brownie and Coke.”  
My sweet Steven is lounging on the counter leaning up against the cabinets.  He is eyeballing my boots, the suggested glitzy number cut down to ‘there’ (being true to myself) and my necklace -strategically placed to hang right above my cleavage… just to make him look.
“You look beautiful.”
 As I flash him a coy smile, blush and start the dishes, I randomly start humming a tune as his eyes twinkle and he smiles his brilliant smile.  He starts to do what he does best; improvising drum sequences on the dirty dutch oven as I begin to sing my sultry version of Jeff Beck/ Joss Stone’s “People Get Ready”. I let him go ahead and take the lengthy guitar solo with a nasty scat pattern as I wipe down the counters and bag up the trash. He doesn’t miss one move I make or one lick of soul.
Heading out to the garage with the garbage, I pass Handsome talking to J.LO and Randy talking music uploads with Man-Child and Endless Pit. Ryan Seacrest stops me. “Tell us what you were feeling as you were singing with Steven.  What can you tell our audience?”  I look back at my judges- Randy, J Lo, Sweet Steven, Handsome, Man Child, Endless Pit and Bilbo- each holding up score cards with smiley faces….

“….Mom….Mom…Mom….Mom…Mom…”
I shake my head and smile. “I’m sorry, what?”
“Do you think you would have won?!”
“Poots, I already have.” ;)

3 comments: