The family

The family
Handsome, Princess, Man- Child, Endless Pit, Bilbo

Wednesday, March 9, 2011

The Pantry, the TV and Flannel Pajama Bottoms

Buds are sprouting, birds are chirping and the lawn guy is spray- painting the teal green emergent on the brown, lifeless grass.  All signs of the new beginning- Spring.  Can I hear a resounding “WHEW!”??
It’s hard to believe that a little over month ago, the view was white and quiet- which for a minute there SHUT…TULSA ….DOWN. 
Yes, most would think being “holed up” on this ship for 2 weeks with a newborn and his two big brothers was a “blessing”…a “joy”… quite the entertainment to keep anyone busy.  However, this cruise director experienced something a little different.   Quite honestly, dare I say it; it was an illusion to cover a post-partum “funk”.  My lofty goal of being super mom and making it look easy slapped me on the ass as I was gasping for the breath of accomplishment. 
I found myself introverted, reclusive, moody, weepy, laughing in hysterics while staring at the crown molding and of course, tired from waking every 3 hours to feed the little blue babe.  Sure, Facebook, Twitter and WWF saved all of us from going too batty with our rants of disbelief (i.e. temperatures, sand trucks and lack of bread, milk and eggs), but as much as we all love each other, eventually you step away from the cross- eyed crack and realize you are posing as a persona that you cannot keep up with.
Here was my 2 week reality… the pantry, the TV, and flannel pajama bottoms.  All were my detrimental vices, simply because they translate into “gaining weight, boredom and disgusting comfort”.  But then again, they eventually saved me from total destruction- I had to cope somehow!  I knew once the snow melted, I had to become presentable and functional again.  I needed to get back to work.  How I yearned to breathe and discover everything would fall back to some kind of healthy routine.  I was grasping at the idea of light, the laughter would follow.  I could go on a walk… take Bilbo out to the store…get my hair done…nails done….I could even feel social with my true friends without staring at a screen or a phone (GASP!). 
So a month later, I am happy to report the sun is out, the pond is melted and collecting ducks and geese, I report back to work Monday, and the family is functioning and thriving to the fullest.  The cake???  I smell the sweetness in the air.  The icing??...
My constant vices are now mascara, lip gloss and my wedding ring…
Those translate to “Eyes, Lips and SPARKLE”! J


No comments:

Post a Comment